Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Your Great-grandmother-maternal side

Your great-grandmother, Joanna Gertrude Jackson was born in Eclectic, Elmore Co., AL , 7 June 1871. She married Robert Henry White Palmer (later dropped the White), 13 Nov. 1892 probably in Eclectic. She was his second wife, I guess his first wife died. Back then, people didn't get divorced. I don't know anything about her before she married and very little after she married. They had five children, my mother being the last. The first child Robert Thomas was born 19 May 1895. The second, Mary Edna, 11 April 1897. The third, Jesse Dawson, 6 Dec. 1898. The fourth, Joseph Henry, 25 April 1902, and fifth, Sadie Ruth, 23 Nov 1905. There was eight years difference between the first girl, Mary Edna, and my mother, your grandmother, Sadie Ruth ( later dropped the "Sadie"). I know you want more personal information, but I don't have it. When we lived with her when I was 2=21/2 , I remember her faintly. I don't ever remember her hugging me or fussing over me. Then again neither did my mother and father. My grandfather Palmer owned 2-3 coal mines, a couple of furniture stores and started the bank in Jasper. They were well off for the times. I imagine grandmother Palmer had lots of nice things besides the china. I remember my mother complaining that her brothers wives got "stuff" by just admiring it and Mrs. Palmer gave it to them. I guess there wasn't much left by the time my mother got old enough to want things from her mother's home. I still have the cut glass punch bowl and stand. Remember, I took it to Oxford, Mississippi, when Frankie had some party at his teacher's house? It is really pretty, but we don't live our lives like that anymore. I still have my mother's Girl's Book , that tells how she lived when she grew up. I waiting for someone to be interested in it so I can tell them about it. Don't wait too long, because I not getting any younger, hardy-har-har!

2 comments:

the Villamor's said...

We took that cut glass punch bowl to Frankie's concert...I think for when he was graduating from Ole Miss(bachelor's degree). I remember the bowl sitting there in all its glory! ha!

That is interesting to hear that they made no fuss over their grandchildren...funny how it is the opposite today!

Thanks for sharing that with us Mama. I thought I had a book on how to be a girl that was your Mama's?? I have her old english book I know.

NOw tell us about your Mom.....

The Walker Family said...

keep it coming mom! we will try to print off your blog for our records and posterity. You are doing so well bloggin! Now, if I can teach you haw to post a picture!