Friday, March 7, 2008

Mother

I found mother's old Brenau College scrapbook. It had pictures and programs saved from concerts, etc. There were some report slips, not cards, that told she was a B, C+ and D student (average). She took piano. She had to miss a date because she was 30min. late from church. She got called down for talking to boys over the balcony! Just your average juvenile delinquent! Brenau college was(or is) in Gainsville, GA. It probably was an all girls college. I couldn't find the Girls Book I was talking about. I have carefully saved all of this genealogy stuff and now I can't find it. In the Girl's book, mom had patterns and material she had dresses made of.(oh no...not one of them dangling thingies again...of!) Back in the early 20th century, 1920 on, girls would have a dance card and the boys would come by and sign the card so that they would be sure to get a dance with that girl. In the Brenau scrapbook, it has some University of Alabama things in it too. She had the invitation of join the Delta Delta Delta sorority, which she did. That was a big sorority on campus. I wanted to join the same sorority but they didn't invite me to join. A couple of my high school friends joined. It seemed the more money you contributed the better it was for you to get in. I was crushed though, and didn't join the other sorority that had invited me. If I had it to do over, I would have joined. The degree I got required me to spend a lot of time at the music building practicing the piano so not being in a sorority was probably the best thing. In the time period my parents grew up, children were to be seen and not heard. I guess that's why there was no overt outpouring of affection in our lives. I knew my parents loved me, after all, they threw me a piece of meat every now and then! But there wasn't a lot of hugging and saying "I love you" going on. I had to make a conscious effort to break that cycle because I wanted my children to know I loved them.

No comments: