Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Day After Monday 2-12-08

I was going to go to Faulkville (or Eva) to help Ruth prune her Bradford pear trees, but the weather for casted rain, so I called and said we could try for Friday. I looked in all of my tree books trying to find out how to prune the trees and couldn't find much. I then remembered what the girls had said about the computer, so I sat down and typed "how to prune Bradford Pear trees", and got a web page! I copied it and another page and with my book on pruning, I now feel confident we won't slaughter the trees too bad. Remember, we had a Bradford Pear tree out beside the shed and the ice storm cracked it in two (two pieces). It grows real fast and all the limbs grow straight up and there is no central stem like there are on other trees. This is an inferior growth pattern and when the weight of wind or ice hits the tree, the top splits open. Horticulture lesson for the day complete. You will be tested.

Cook's Pest Control came by this morning and put in termite containers all around the house. If the termites get into these containers, they remove the wood the termites are feasting on, and put bait in them. Then the termites eat the bait and carry it back to the nest and the queen and bingo! No more termites.

While I was out looking at the termite controls, I noticed that the top on the retaining wall on the south side of the house, had rotted away and there was a hole in the wall. It's made of concrete blocks so when the top cap block is gone the holes in the blocks are exposed. Some day in the not too distant future, we'll have to have the wall replaced.

I noticed the neighbors, Bobby and Brenda Adams and Harold, Nancy's husband were working on the other side of the chain link fence. Brenda was cutting the vines and trees off of the fence while the men were doing something else. I thought about getting a lawn chair out and sitting on our side of the fence just to watch them work! I like to watch other people work. Before I had cancer I used to like to get outside and do the same type of work, but now I can't. I just don't have the energy to do it. Mental or physical.

It's time to make some cards. I know two girls that need a card sent to them so I have to get busy and make a few.

2 comments:

The Walker Family said...

That's right Granny, I'm one of the girls that needs a card. George is sittin beside me, so you'll need to send him a card too so he will not get jealous! I would love to go to Bubba;s with you, just not to prune a tree!

the Villamor's said...

I need a card too Granny and the kids would LOVE a card from you also! I should send you a book of stamps so you would be ready to send me cards:)

You love watching people work? How funny!

have fun pruning! Oh....and now that you know you can find ANYTHING on the internet your world will never be the same! I am so glad you like to get on the computer more!