Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

I learned that the first Memorial Day was a Decoration Day to clean off and decorate the graves of Civil War veterans. Somewhere along the line I had forgotten that.

Trudy and her family came over and we grilled out and had ribs, cole slaw, and baked beans. Oh, and can't forget the brownies! They provided the food and we provided the facilities.

We had a great time. Trudy was able to work on some quilt squares and piece them together on my machine. Her sewing machine is broken at the moment and will have to get fixed for her to quilt. She wants to do good in quilting. I would have given up the second time I had to rip some seams out!

We did remember our troops, now and past ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, the French and Indian War and the War Between the States (it really wasn't a civil war). We have ancestors who fought for the South and the Union. Frank's brother, who passed away,last year, fought in the Viet Nam War. Frank was in the Navy at that time and put in to be sent to Nam, but he was sent to Key West instead so he could marry me! We appreciate our troops!

No comments: