Thursday, December 4, 2008

Very Busy Day

I was up at 7:00 AM and so was Dad. He wanted to go to H'ville today and we planned to go early, but he wanted to pay some bills first. All of this takes time, so we left at 11:00 AM! We went to the Apple Store and the IPhone went back. It was too expensive to hook it up to a phone line! Then we went to the AT&T store and had our second land line put on a new cell phone for me. It will be pink and has no texting and no fancy stuff. We ate lunch at McDonald's and then came home. I was going to the Temple tonight but we got back at 3:00 PM so I had to cancel the trip. That was good for I was rather tired after all the walking and standing we did. I'm also tired of driving an the interstate going 70 mph! I think the car pulls a little to the right.

I remember when I got my first bike. It was a used one and I was disappointed at bit but I loved it just the same. I rode with my friends in the neighborhood and I rode by myself. I was going down this steep hill one time and fell and got my knees skinned up. I can still see some of the black cinder material under my skin!

I remember being in the Brownies and then the Girl Scouts. In high school I got into the troupe where there were some of my friends and we all went as high as we could in the GS in the 50's.
I would usually go to Girl Scout camp in the summer. I would go by myself if no one else I knew was going. One time we were working an a lanyard and I decided I didn't want to finish it and the councelor wrote on my paper that I didn't finish things I started. That made me mad. I had a bad attitude even when I was a young whipper snapper. I loved working on the badges and was lucky to have leaders for our age group.

The Girl Scouts bought some land where Elk River and Anderson creek met and called it camp Anderel. I don't know if they use it any more or not but I got into the first group of girls that was able to camp there. It was primitive camping and I loved it! After we put our tents up (canvas tents), we dug a trench around the outside of the tent. I ask why and was told that if it rained, the trench would carry the water away from the tent. It did rain and the trench worked! We slept on air mattresses and I accidentally pushed a safety pin into the mattress, like I would do at home. Well, the air leaked our. At night, I would blow the mattress up and in the morning I would wake up on the ground! And with that same pin I hung a face cloth from the tent. It made a small hole in the tent and when it rained, the water dripped, dripped onto my face! We used latrines dug with a post hole digger. I had read about trap door spiders and I found one's nest and dug it up to show the others. I spent time sharpening my small ax and then I cut my finger or knee with it! I learned a lot of things not to do when you're camping. I was in the 9th grade when this happened.

No comments: