Saturday, June 14, 2008

Grand Canning Day

Karen Decker and I left my house at 7:30 AM ( in her van). We met Sharmon Kitchens and we three drove to Hendersonville, TN to the Bishop's Storehouse. There we dry canned pinto and black beans, rice, quick and regular oatmeal, apple slices, dry milk, refried beans, carrots, drink mix and I think that's about all. It was a big job for just the 3 of us, but we got it done. Oh,we canned red winter wheat too. There are 6 cans in each case and the wheat weighed the most when we had to move it. I don't know how many cases we had, but the back of Karen's van was full and we had taken the row of back seats out. We were loaded to the gills. I only had 3 cans of apple slices. I had ordered some macaroni but they didn't have any. I can buy it at the grocery store, anyway. I don't really like macaroni but it will give a variety in our diet, if necessary. It would have been good to have had some men to load all the cases into the van. Bro. Decker met us at the church and helped unload and load the cases into Sharmon's truck.

Bro. Decker had been assigned to clean up the church so we all went in to check everything out. This was 5:00 PM. We had to move some chairs around but everything else was pretty clean. Sis. Shelby, the Primary President was there and we talked to her for a few minutes, then we went home. I had had 2 eggs and a piece of bread for breakfast and a bar for lunch. After 3:00 Pm, we stopped at a store and I got a diet, caffeine free Pepsi, and ate another peanut bar. I got home after 5 and I was hungry! All in all, it was a good day of service.