Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wednesday

Karen and I went to exercise. Afterwards, we stopped at Dollar General so I could get some milk. I like to have 4 gallons on milk in the refrigerator at all times. That way I know that we won't be running out. We drank powdered milk for years, but after I had my hip replaced I got the taste for 2% milk and refuse to go back to powdered milk. In fact, I gave away about 15 big boxes of powdered milk I had had for 3 years to a friend who has 6 children. She uses it in cooking and was glad to get it. It was still good.

I cooked Brussels sprouts and kale this afternoon. We still have some of the pork roast I cooked for Frankie's family but we didn't eat. I've decided I don't really like it but we will have to eat it until it's gone. We finished the cabbage and sausage dish and still have goulash to eat. I've been eating too much lately and am getting as round as a toad.

Today was our 47th wedding anniversary. My dear friend Kathy sent us a card that we got yesterday and it reminded me that our anniversary was today. Otherwise, I probably would have forgotten. I believe the hand of the Lord was in us getting together. I was from North Alabama and he was from MA (can't spell it). He was in the Navy stationed in Key West, FL. I was teaching private piano lessons in Tuscaloosa, AL and got word of a teaching job in Key West. Calls were made to the University of Alabama and I accepted the job. I didn't have a teaching degree but they needed someone so desperately that they took an Arts & Science major.

After I got to Key West and got to the school, I met another teacher, Kathy. Her husband, Bill, was in the Navy and he was stationed at Key West.  Kathy and I became good friends and two weeks after I had been in Key West, they introduced me to Frank.

Frank and his buddy, Dale, arranged dates with me and my room mate, Angeline. Frank was with Angeline and I was with Dale, but as the day  progressed, Frank and I became a couple and 4 months later, we got married. We both had to go to the Southern most part of the US to find each other. A Southern girl and a d--n Yankee. We lived in Sheffield, AL for a while but couldn't find a good job so thought going to MA would be the thing to do. We lived with Frank's parents for two months and then Frank go a job offer back in Florence, AL which is across the Tennessee River from Sheffield. This brought us back to the South, which saved our marriage. (You can take a Southerner out of the South, but you can't take the South out of a Southerner). I was in cultural shock all the time I was in Yankee land. Frank didn't want to stay in MA either, so with the job offer, we moved back and 47 years later we are celebrating our wedding anniversary, thanks to Kathy and Bill. They've been married 48 years and they are a great couple. They will make it to 50 years before we do, but we all will be very happy.

No comments: