Saturday, April 30, 2011

After the Storms

I haven't been able to blog because our router has been down. We've been watching TV and seeing all of the destruction the tornadoes have done. It's impossible to fathom the emotion of all of the people who have been touched by the storms. We were so blessed to have been passed over by the tornadoes. There has been wide spread destruction done in Alabama and surrounding Southern states. The majority of it was in Alabama and most of the deaths. The storms wreaked havoc at the Brown's Ferry Nuclear Plant near us and caused all of Madison county (H'ville and Hazel Green) lines to be without electricity. It may be a week until they get all of the power lines reconnected so Madison county can have power.

Athens was spared and we have electricity. Without power, the gas stations in Madison county haven't been able to pump gas so the people have come over to Athens and Limestone county to get gas and food. The highways have been over flowing with cars and any place that had food and ice were packed. I went to town Thursday after the storms to go to Curves and Walmart, but the traffic was so bad on Hy 72 that I turned around and came home without anything. I went to Walmart today and there was no meat, frozen foods, eggs, cottage cheese and most of the things I was going after! I don't know when they will be stocked up again.

I got gasoline at the Shell station where I usually buy, but the pump was so slow that it took forever to get 9 gallons. I still had 1/2 a tank but I don't like to let it get that low before I fill up again. The price was $3.75 a gallon. I came home and didn't have any meat so I cooked a tomato and rotini and TVP dish that wasn't too bad. It could have used some tomato sauce but I didn't have any so I just added another can of tomatoes. Thank heavens we have electricity.

No comments: