Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Cousin's Funeral

My first cousin, Ann, died Thursday and her funeral was today. I called my brother and he came up and got me and we went. He was having bad back pain but he managed to go. The visitation was at Spray's
Funeral Home in Florence. Susan, Ann's daughter had given me good directions and we found it right away. Bubba could hardly walk into the funeral home so he sat in a chair while I got in line to go in. There were a lot of people there. Ann's two daughters, Susan and Kathy recognized me. I met their grown children and got to hug them both and then hugged Ann's husband, Don. Next came my oldest cousin D.C. He said he was 90. I hugged him and his wife and then shook hands with more second cousins, the grown children of everybody. It was a very busy place. I told them Bubba had back problems and was sitting in the lobby. I doubt that anyone noticed what I said. It was a sad time. Ann was 75 which sounds old but the closer to 70 I get, the younger it seems.

After the funeral home, we drove over the Sheffield. We went by the old home place and drove through downtown Sheffield and then went to Tuscumbia and on to the cemetery where our parents and family were buried. Back in the days of big families, a large grave plot would be bought, enough for all the family members to be buried in. Mother and Dad aren't side by side but they are in the White plot. We drove in the Miata which had the hard top on it. It was nice to spend the day with my brother even if it was a sad occasion.

No comments: