Friday, October 26, 2012

Travel

Trudy, Sadie and I went to Sheffield and Tuscumbia and Florence today and I narrated as we went along.
 I got your nice gift today! I love the bag. It is too small to be my Sunday music bag...not really, if I don't try to put the pillow in it. I love it. It looks so good. I can use it when I go to Trudy's to spend the night for black Friday. Thank you so much. You can't get it back now. You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands-hahahaha!  It must have cost a lot because it looks so good.

Trudy, Sadie and I went to Sheffield today. We stopped at Hardies in Rogersville and ate lunch. We had some soft taco wraps. I don't really like to eat something that when I take a bite out of one end, food falls out of the other...but I ate it anyway. It cost me $17.00 plus. I wasn't expecting that much from a burger joint.

We drove over Wheeler dam and on to Sheffield that way. We drove through downtown Sheffield and it is almost a ghost town. We went up to the stand pipe-water tank- and looked at the Tennessee river. I told Sadie that my brother and I would look for arrowheads along the banks of the river when we were younger. We stopped by Granddaddy's old house and Trudy took some pictures of it. It's a wonder that it is still standing. She had Grampie's camera. I had my camera too, but I only took one picture.

We drove over to Tuscumbia and I showed them Deshler High School where Granddaddy went to high school and the house he was born in. Then we drove by the court house and on to the old soda shop that's been renewed. Have we been there? I can't think of the name right now. The bathroom walls are papered in old pink receipts. I got a Pepsi with two scoops of Blue Bell ice cream in it with whip cream and a cherry on top. Trudy and Sadie got waffle cones and ice cream.

Then we drove down into Spring Park. Everything was closed but you could see the merry-go-round and the other rides. We went to the cemetery next. I was amazed at how much I have forgotten about the family that's out there. I guess you loose what you don't loose and I'm not into genealogy anymore.

Next, we drove over the old bridge over the Tenn. river and into Florence. We went to UNA and I showed them the old building where the music dept. was when I went there. Sadie recognized that it was the place where they had youth conference last year. She remembered the lions (real beasts) they have in a cage somewhere on campus. After UNA, we drove on home. Sadie had a trunk-or-treat party to go to tonight. She and Maurine made a round, circular skirt out of red satin-like fabric and had a net slip that hung down from the hem. I told Sadie how in the old days, I would wear a net slip that was supposed to poof your skirt out and that it was like sitting on barbed wire or sand paper.

I've worn myself out writing all of this and reliving the memories. Thanks again for the lovely bag. I will have to re-cover my piano bench pillow in a nice wine color like the color of the scarf you had tied onto the handle and I will have a nice ensemble.

Love,

Grannymom

From an email I sent to Mary Kate telling her about our trip and thanking her for a gift.

No comments: