Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Trip to Faulkville

I left home at 9 AM to go to Faulkville to see my brother and interview him for my life story. I had a list of questions prepared and we went through them. I had a small tape recorder going too, but I don't think it got all the conversation. I think I erased some of it when I stopped it and later turned it on again. I haven't tried to listen to it yet, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

I learned that Autherine Lucy was the first black woman to integrate the University of Alabama and not Vivian Malone, who I knew. I need to Google Vivian Malone and see what information I can get on her since I knew her. She lived on the same floor in my dorm and went to the Wesley Foundation on Sundays. I would ask her to sit at my lunch table with me when I saw her.

I was at the University the summer that Governor George Wallace "stood in the school house door" to prevent integration of the university. He arrived in his car. Got out. The news cameras were there, and he stood in the door way of one of the buildings and said the university wouldn't let blacks in and then he got back in his car and drove away. That was a campaign promise of his, but he couldn't stop it because integration was the law of the land then.

Tonight was Relief Society and Summer Rae was teaching and Karen and I went to support her. She had taken a Write Your Life Story at the H'ville library and she taught about that. We got a sheet with a list of things to write about and we had the opportunity to write about something on the list. I close shopping. I believe I will use what I wrote and expand on it and use it as one of my writing pieces. It was a fun evening and we enjoyed everyone's company.

No comments: