Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Brother

My brother, Dossey H. White, Jr., was 6 1/2 years older than I. He later changed his first name to "Doss" because too many people thought Dossey was a girl's name.

I remember walking to school with him when I first started to school. Sometimes we would walk home in the alley. As he got older, he went on to high school and I didn't walk with him any more.

He and our neighbor Nick Hobbs would go arrow head hunting. Sometimes he would let me go
with him. I learned how to spot arrow heads and one time helped him fine a burial place.

We had a small boat that he and my father had built from a kit they got from Sear's and it had a 7 1/2 horse power motor on it. He would get me to go arrow head hunting so I could help him carry the boat to the water. We had a car top carrier that fit on the top of the car and we would strap the boat onto the car and we would drive to the river and put the boat in. We would ride to 7 Mile Island and when the water in the river was low, we would hunt for arrow heads. It was a fun time for me. My family would also load the boat on top of the car and go to the river for a ride.

My Dad taught my brother to work on cars and back in the 50's one could find the parts to the old Ford A-Models he and got an old A-Model to run. One time he put the axle in backwards and it ran backwards when it was in 1st gear.

He always liked foreign cars and he had a BMW (I think that is what the name of it was. It wasn't a "beemer" but it was a sports car). Sometimes he would let me go with him to the car races at the old air base at Courtland where they would race the small cars. It was a lot of fun.

When he graduated from high school, he went to the University of Alabama and I ruled the roost at home!

No comments: