Saturday, August 1, 2009

Girl Scouts

My older brother was a boy scout and I went to his courts of honor and went with my parents when they took him to scout camp. I read his Boy Scout manual and all of his Boy's Life magazines. That made me a natural shew in for the Girl Scouts.

I was a Brownie as early as I could be. I remember going to the meetings and somewhere have a picture of me in my Brownie uniform. I remember riding the bus to go to my Girl Scout meetings. I learned how to do a hospital corner in making up a bed and I'm sure I learned something about sewing but I don't remember now what it was.

I loved to go to Girl Scout Camp each summer. I would go by myself even if I didn't have a friend to go with me. We stayed in cabins and had camp fires. I loved to sit around the camp fire and sing the Girl Scout songs. Going to the bathroom at night was quite a trial. The bathrooms were permanent latrines and there was always a buzzing sound coming from them. At night, with a flash light and all by myself, I would trudge to the latrine. That took courage!

After my Scout group broke up, I found one that had a lot of my friends in it and joined it. I have a picture of all of us girls standing behind a table where we must have had a ceremony or something. The Girl Scouts then didn't have the program like they do today but I went as far as I could go in the Scouts. I have good memories of being in the Girl Scouts.

No comments: