Thursday, January 1, 2009

Information Please

We got to the hospital at 5:30 AM Tuesday. Frank got registered and went on back for the operation. They called us every hour to let us know how things were doing. After one such call, we left and went to Hobby Lobby and Mary Kate bought some Christmas ornaments (very small) for her preschool class. They would be for counting. We had lunch in the hospital cafeteria and then went back to waiting. About 12:30 PM they called and said they were through and everything went alright. We then had a consultation with Dr. Morgan and he told us Dad did fine. He would be moved over to Huntsville Hospital and he was in room 537. He looked pretty bad and looked like he was in a lot of pain when he woke up. The nurse came to give him a pain shot and then he went to sleep. Mary Kate wanted to stay at the hospital all night so we both came home and then she went back. All the nurses and staff at the hospital were top notch. I had heard bad things about Huntsville Hospital but our experience was a positive one.


I got there the next day and Dad seemed to be doing better. He still slept a lot and Mary Kate and I thought he might need another night in the hospital but when he woke up he said he wanted to come home Wednesday so that afternoon after walking the halls the nurse got him ready to go and we brought him home. He's really done well seeing what he went through. He had prostate cancer but it hadn't spread beyond the gland.

Today he ran a 103 temperature but he does that sometimes on a prednsone day so we didn't think it was related to the operation. He took some Tylenol and that took care of the fever

I was pretty lost the whole time. Mary Kate really helped me through it. She has a young brain and young nerves and she moves pretty fast. It amazes me. Maybe I was like that long time ago. My neighbor Brenda Adams called this morning and said she was making some chicken stew and she would sent some over. It's good and not too salty(to me) so maybe Dad will eat some.

Frankie said something about coming down Friday and maybe he can. I'm so used to taking care of everything that it's hard for me to know when I need help. After Frank gets better, I'll schedule my right knee replacement. I'll be so glad to get rid of the pain I'm in with my knees. I'll really need to be retrained when I can get two new knees!

2 comments:

the Villamor's said...

so wonderful he was able to come home so soon! I was so glad to help Granny....I am sure you had that young brain before;)

The Walker Family said...

I'm so thankfulMK was there to be with you at the hospital. I would have been had she not been able to come. Anytime loved one is in the hospital, it can be overwhelming. Emotions tend to go wild! I do hope the recovery time will be speedy! I can't wait to come over tomorrow!